Saturday 30 August 2014

George R.R Martin - A Dance With Dragons

A Dance with Dragons - George R R Martin

Hey guys, another Game of Thrones book review for you today, technically it's two books on my kindle, but I will do the review for both in one. 

I found these books to be more interesting that the previous, but again I felt like there was too much "filling" of information that wasn't needed, or didn't need repeating again. If he cut all that out, his books would be a lot shorter and he'd probably have them written a lot quicker too.

I definitely preferred the second part of the book, it left you on a bit of a hang over - leaving you wanting the next book because "that cannot have just happened?". It's so hard to write a review on a book without giving out spoilers. 
I have to say I wanted to see more of Bran. I don't feel like we've got to see much of this character at all in the later books, though I feel like he is a very important character in the series. Not much has been said about the youngest Stark either, he's mentioned briefly but there isn't anything from his point of view, I'm not sure if that's because he's only 3/4? 

Again with this book, the titles of the chapters had gone from having the characters names, to "The Lost Lord" and the likes, so you had to guess at who it was about at first, being that there is so much information in each chapter, by the time you've gotten to a new one, you've forgotten who and done / said what. 

I have to say after reading the end of this book, I do now want to know how it ends and can understand fans complete frustration with the writer in the fact that he can't stick to a publishing date, or how many books he wants to write in the series.
I've heard that his publishers don't think the next book will be out until 2017! This is ridiculous and although I understand that you have to be in the creative mood to write that story, I just worry now it may never end.
Also what will happen to the TV show as the show isn't that far from the books, this new series, possibly half an other and it will be caught up. 
Hopefully he will surprise us all and have the book ready soon.

What's frustrating for me is that I don't think this is a GREAT series, but even so I've been drawn into this world - even though I'm not attached to many of the characters, I just have to know what happens next. 

You can buy this book for as little as £2.99 (Brilliant price for the full 1045 paged book) on Amazon.

So how about everyone else, what do you think of the Ice and Fire series? Do you prefer the show to the book? Or a book fan for life?

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment