Sunday 31 August 2014

Kelley Armstrong - The Summoning


Hey Guys, today's review is in the form of Kelley Armstong's The Summoning, the first book in The Darkest Power Trilogy.
My sister actually left this on the book case outside my room one day to see if I would be interested in reading it - after reading the back, I was, I just wanted to get through the Ice and Fire series first, as soon as I'd finished the A Dance With Dragons book, I was straight to my room and picked this up, and I couldn't put it down.

I am a particular person, I can't stand horror or being scared, but love nothing more than a thrill or suspense book. I have an active imagination so just a few words on a page can make me think of all sorts - where in a horror film, you're seeing the work of other people's imaginations, not actually as bad as what your own can come up with, yet I would choose a thriller book over a movie any day. Anyone else like that?

This starts off with our main character Chloe being babysat as a child, her child minder keeps calling her into the basement even though her parents told her that Chloe must never go in there. The child minder is insisting so young Chloe descends down the stairs where she is cornered by a ghost.
Chloe can see ghosts. 

The story then moves on, Chloe is a teen and the ghost in the basement just a dream, until she starts getting followed around by a guy in school. A guy who is all burned and no way possible that he's alive. With her mum dead, her dad away on business, Chloe is looked after by her Aunt - who after the incident with the burned guy in the school, sends Chloe to Lyle House. A home for disturbed kids.

In this book we meet other kids and see their "abnormalities". Described as mental illnesses - Chloe herself is diagnosed with Schizophrenia, we soon get to see that the other patients have gifts just like Chloe does, and Lyle House and the adults who are supposed to care for these kids are not who they say they are. 

This was a real page turner, I got to the end and wanted to move straight on to the next one. You get completely caught up in this world and these characters. I can't imagine how horrible it would be like to live in a home for mental illnesses, that would be a huge nightmare for me, but being stuck there, not sure if you are imagining ghost, or actually seeing them, would be horrible. 

I can't wait to get onto the next book.
You can buy this from Amazon for £5.99.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment